Job Title: Process Engineer
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Posted Date: December 20, 2019
REQUIRED EDUCATION: BS/MS in Dairy /Food Science, Chemical/ Biochemical Engineering or related discipline.
AREA(S) OF EXPERTISE DESIRED: Process engineering, scale up, and technology transfer expertise in downstream purification processes of proteins, for commercial manufacturing.
Our client is working to commercialize animal-free dairy protein products made through fermentation in flora. We are seeking a skilled and experienced Process Engineer to help the scale up and design of the production process from the laboratory through pilot plant into commercial facilities. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment.
Role And Responsibilities
• Lead or participate in multidisciplinary teams addressing critical issues in protein recovery and purification. Help set and execute the strategic and tactical direction in both upstream and downstream process development.
• Responsible to deliver on product quality, recovery, cost and quantity targets for commercial protein production in association with process development team.
• Lead, design and execute optimization experiments and related projects in conjunction with other staff to deliver an efficient, cost effective technology package for scale up through to product commercialization.
• Identify, develop, and implement Client and downstream technologies required to meet project objectives.
• Contribute to a project team responsible for executing successful technology transfer and scale-up of downstream recovery processes including separation, isolation, concentration and drying to contract development and manufacturing partners.
• Assist client’s ongoing and new capital projects at manufacturing partners.
• BS in Dairy Science or Food Science, Chemical or Biochemical engineering with minimum 4-8 years’ experience or MS in above discipline with a minimum of 2-6 years direct experience in scaling up downstream dairy protein purification.
• Must have deep technical acumen and expertise in implementation and optimization of unit operations in protein separations, isolation and purification including but not limited to membrane filtration, mechanical separations, chromatography, evaporation, drying etc. Experience in scale up of these processes from bench to pilot to commercial is a plus.
• History of meeting expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
• Self-starter with good organizational skills; able to work effectively in cross-functional teams, provide strong analytic and process design skills, root cause analysis, training and general communication.
• Project management training is an advantage.
• Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs.
• Some travel will be required.
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.