Job Title: Engineering Manager
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Posted Date: April 11, 2019
Primary Purpose of this Position:
• Support marketing and sales efforts by providing structural engineering expertise in solving customer problems and by leading and managing detailing resources to support company goals including marketing, profitability and customer satisfaction goals.
Essential Job Functions
• Manage and coordinate in-house and outside detailing resources to meet schedules for contract and service center jobs.
• Set goals and expectations and evaluate the job performance of detailing coordinators, detailers, checkers and other detailing department personnel. Instill a strong culture of teamwork among detailing personnel, project managers and others.
• Determine the need for changes in department personnel and make recommendations.
• Ensure appropriate development plans and training programs are in place for detailing department personnel.
• Ensure that all detailed drawings prepared by in-house detailing and outside subcontracted detailers conform to industry codes, contract drawings and specifications. When a nonconformance arises in fabrication, has final authority on how to handle nonconformance issue.
• Support sales and marketing efforts by working with outside design professionals, or as a team member, to develop structural designs for customers in which DWS is providing Design /
• Build or Design Assist services. Maintain or acquire engineering certification in states or jurisdictions required.
• Provide value-engineering alternatives and designs, including connection design, as requested by project managers for projects to be bid or negotiated. Compare alternatives from both engineering and economic perspectives.
• Work as a resource for DWS’s sales, project management, detailing, shop and QA departments to communicate and solve technical issues and problems with outside engineers and architects.
• Be a resource for customers; provide answers to structural engineering problems and develop structural designs to be incorporated into steel fabricated by DWS.
• Utilize structural design computer programs, including those programs that have capabilities to feed design information to detailing software programs.
• Assist with sales and marketing programs that involve the promotion of DWS engineering capabilities.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
Excellent knowledge and application of AISC, AWS, AREA, and general building codes.
Superior leadership, planning, management, and communication skills.
Excellent knowledge of general construction practices, sequences and techniques as well as shop fabrication and steel erection processes and methods.
Excellent computer skills including the use of steel design, modeling and detailing (RAM, SDS/2, AutoCAD), word processing, spreadsheet, database (MS Word, Excel and Access), PowerPoint, email and Internet.
Superior ability to lead, facilitate, and work as a member of a team.
Creative, resourceful, decisive and accountable.
Ability to make impressive presentations to owners, customers and design teams.