Job Title: Advanced Controls System Engineer
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Posted Date: April 9, 2019
The Control Systems Engineer is responsible for developing/designing machine and process control systems and implementing the finished product as required by the customer. Knowledge in web handling is expected.
• Consistent delivery of a positive customer experience as evident through customer request for your specific service
• Willingness to assist Client’s Controls associates with learning new skills
• Accountable to committed tasks
• Prioritizes work schedule effectively
• Communicates openly with customers in an effective, positive manner
• Positive P&L statement
Role and Responsibilities
• Manage assigned project(s) from definition to installation and customer acceptance.
o Maintain cost and schedule tracking of projects against quoted price and delivery.
o Develop and maintain project milestones, parts lists and ordering, and electrical schematics.
o Provide communication to customers, panel shop employees, the account manager, and other team members.
o Lead and/or support start-up of systems in the shop and at the customer site.
• Perform programming and development of PLC, temperature controls systems, drive systems, and HMI systems.
• Perform programming and development for web handling applications (unwinds, rewinds, extruders, dancers, load cells, torque control, tension control, etc.)
• Create viable project plans (scope development) and P&IDs, and execute them to achieve goals of the customer.
• Create quotations, budgetary designs, ROI calculations, and lead presentations for and with customers.
• Act as a leader in one area (web handling) of technology used by the company.
• Be part of the after hours rotation. (Typically 2 weeks per year)
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Competencies
Education and Experience:
• College Degree in engineering; three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Learning Ability
• Interpretation of Written Information
• Working Memory – Ability to recall stored, visual images or verbal information
• Reasoning – Capacity to make sense of things, applying logic to establish and verify facts and then change practices based on new or existing information
• Decision Making – Gathering facts, analysis and producing a final choice
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions and works well individually and in group problem solving situations
• Price Math (Discounts, Markup, Margin, etc.)
• Manufacturing Finance
• Basic Financial Knowledge (ROI, Payback)
• Writing Skills (service reports, E-mail, etc.)
• Establish Trust (Accountability, Admit one’s own mistakes)
• Establish Relationships
• Foster Open Communications
• Show Adaptability
• Meet Customer Needs
• Promote Teamwork
• Think Creatively
• Show Drive and Initiative
• Emotional Intelligence
Functional Technical Skills
• The Controls Systems Engineer is required to understand the following technical skills to perform their job.
o Rockwell Automation PLCs (ControlLogix, SLC, PLC5)
o Siemens Automation PLCs (S7-300, S7-1200, S7-1500 using SIMATIC Manager and TIA Portal)
o Parker SSD Drive Systems
o Rockwell Drive Systems
o Siemens Drive Systems
o Parker Automation Products
o SCADA/HMI Applications (Intellution, Wonderware, Red Lion)
o Eurotherm and RKC Controllers
o System troubleshooting and problem solving
o Industry Standards (NEC/NRPA70, NFPA 79, NFPA 70).
Physical Demands (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities)
· Sit or stand for extended periods of time
· Speak and hear communications
· Occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds
· The noise level in the work environment is from moderate to loud
• Required to have proficiency with the following Client’s Controls related systems.
• Associate Handbook
• Project Workbook (BP3200.03)
• Electrical Safety (BP3900.01/BP3900.02)
• LOTO Procedure (BP3900.03)
• Proficiency with Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, and Outlook. Familiarity with ePlan, Rockwell Software, and Siemens TIA Portal, as well as the Client’s Controls Sharepoint page, is also required.
• Occasional travel (local, national, international) is required.
• May be required to work hours outside of the typical 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. day.
• Organizational skills for the generation of detailed reports, procedures, etc.
• Knowledge of mechanical components of control systems.
• Ability to interact professionally with suppliers and customers.
• Educational background required.
• Minimum 4 year BS degree in a field related to electrical design and/or control system development.